Everyday we find ourselves looking at the blue light emitted from our smartphones. Before we go to bed, as soon as we wake up and anytime that we are “bored” it’s straight onto Facebook. We are all guilty of this, whether, we like to admit it or not. We are creatures of habit and trying to break free from this can prove very difficult. I love my smartphone, but as I am writing this I feel that life was so much simpler when I had my trusty Nokia 3310. Times have have changed, we are expected to be available at all times meaning we are constantly wired and switched on. Whether it's catching up on global affairs, posting selfies or letting people into our amazing lives through daily Instagram pics. There's no getting away from it. It's time to consider taking a step back from it all.
I know what you are thinking, why is he writing an article about the apps. Well, let me tell you. These apps will give you the time you need to get part of your life back which is lost through technology and in turn will improve your mindset. If we are using our phones pretty much 24/7 why not use them to add benefit to your life. After all, if you don’t, who else will.
This article is actually a happy accident, my wife and I we’re chilling in the flat one night when she told me she heard of this new app. Naturally I was intrigued, She downloaded it, thirty seconds later it was loaded up and we were fully immersed in it. I can't describe how chilled out and relaxed I was after listening to the mellow commands for 10 minutes. It was a meditation app called Headspace. Meditation doesn't have to be like the Buddhist Monk style meditation you see in yoga meme's. All it needs to be is you switching yourself off from the outside world and taking 10 minutes of the day with no distractions to treat yourself. Meditation is a great tool to de-stress and lower anxiety levels.
Here’s my list of the 8 apps to improve your mindset
1. Headspace - As mentioned above Headspace is a great app for meditation. It’s easy to follow and makes you feel incredible afterwards. Mindfulness and mediation are definitely buzzwords at the moment but whilst these forms have been around for centuries the science is only now catching up. With science comes noise and with noise comes popularity. Taking 10-15 minutes out your day to meditate can have a huge positive impact on stress, anxiety and focus the mind on positivity. Download this app and give it a go.
2. Sleep Cycle - Have you ever woken up feeling worse than you did before you went to bed? Yeah, me too! I have always wondered why, When I feel I had a great night sleep. Well, it’s down to the depth of your sleep. A full sleep cycle last around 90 minutes and is repeated several times in the night. Sleep cycle wakes you up when you are in the light phase of your sleep roughly 30 minutes before your alarm sounds. Having heard great reviews from friends who use it I decided to try it for myself. Stay tuned for my results. If you want't t start the journey to better sleep, you should down load it too and let me know how you get on.
3. Coach.me - This is a great app for helping you build habits. After all we are creatures of habit so it makes sense that there is an app to help us build new ones. It’s vital that we build good habits based on fitness and nutrition after all you need to fuel your body with the right fuel for you to stay healthy.
4. Calm - Is a free mindfulness programme that will lessen the feel of stress and anxiety, improve health and sleep. Daily pressure to succeed can be overwhelming and giving back to yourself can be the best thing you can do to set the mind straight and help you succeed at what really matters and that’s your health. Meditation allows us to wake up and be present to get on with your life and recognises our unhealthy habits.
5. Swackett - Ever wondered what it’s doing outside, will you need a sweater, jacket or coat. Well, Swackett has the answer. It provides you with a fun and quirky way to dress appropriately for the weather and with its social base allows you to see what other people in your area are feeling in terms of the weather. It’s fun, quirky and social. Give it a go.
6. Moves - Allows you to track your walking, cycling and running in a day and displays it on an easy to follow graph. The easy to use and follow app gives you a fresh approach to your life regarding exercise. By making small changes to your daily routine you will soon notice those habits build and lead yourself to a new you. A great app and one I recommend.
7. Couch to 5k - Allows you to smash out a 5k run in no time. Exercises is a great way to improve your mindset. It makes you feel good, gives you motivation and increases energy levels and give you a release of those happy hormones called endorphin's. Once you have achieved your 5k goal, you can take this with you wherever you go. A good place to start is the world famous Saturday morning Park runs. Why not do them during your lunch break too. This will help you clear your mind for the afternoon task.
This apps gently eases you into running 5k in just 9 weeks. You alternate jogging with walking intervals and over time the jogging becomes long and the walking periods shorten. You can even track your progress which you can then share on social media.
8. Substitutions - have you ever been making a meal, baking a healthy cake and forgotten one of the vital ingredients to bring it all together. Well this handy kitchen app removes the stress once and for all. This app is basically a super long list of ingredients categorised, which you can narrow down to their possible substitutions meaning that you will never get caught short in the kitchen again, you’re welcome!
If you feel I have missed any apps or you are currently using any of the above already please let me know. It would be great to hear how they've had an impact on your life. If you would like to talk in depth about habit building, exercise, fitness or nutrition then please get in touch.
My name is Calumn, founder of CD Fitness. You’ll find me in and around the gym and helping like minded people get the results they deserve. I enjoy everything from keeping fit, yoga, snowboarding, coffee and making people happy. If you would like to be apart of the bigger community join my Facebook group, Healthy Living With CD Fitness Coaching is a must.