I hear it all the time, people are consistently arguing about the amount of fats and carbs you should consume on a daily basis, one thing that most people agree on is the amount of protein a person should consume and the importance behind it.
Consuming plenty of protein is important for health, performance and body composition. Consuming the right amount of protein has a number of health benefits, it can help you lose weight, (especially belly fat) and help repair and build muscle after a workout which in turn helps increase your muscle mass and strength.
The recommend daily intake (RDI) is 56 grams for men, and 46 grams for women. However, many health and fitness experts believe that we need more that that. To help you achieve your protein intakes you do not need to rely on expensive protein shakes, here is a list of 17 great tasting, high protein foods.
1. Eggs - Whole eggs, including the Yolk are one of the the healthiest and most nutritious foods on the planet.
If you are looking for vitamins, minerals, fat, eye-protecting antioxidants and brain food you do not need to look any further than whole eggs.
Did you know that whole eggs are high in protein? Of course you did that's why they are on this list but egg whites are almost pure protein.
Protein content: 1 large egg contains 6 grams of protein, with 78 calories.
2. Almonds - These awesome nuts are packed full of important nutrients, including fibre and Vitamin E.
Protein content: 6 grams per 1 ounce (28 g) serving, with 161 calories.
3. Chicken Breast - This is a popular form of lean protein. A healthy tip is If you eat the chicken breast without the skin a vast majority of the calories in it come from protein.Chicken breast is really easy to cook and tastes pretty damn amazing when done right with most dishes.
Protein content: 1 roasted chicken breast without skin contains 53 grams, with only 284 calories.
4. Oats - what can be said about these guys apart from if you don't currently eat them then you need to start. They are amongst the healthiest grains on the planet. Bold statement i know.
The pack a strong punch of health fibre, vitamin B1 and several other important nutrients.
Protein content: Half a cup of raw oats contains 13 grams, with 303 calories.
5. Cottage Cheese - This low fat cheese is packed full of calcium, vitamin B12 and other healthy nutrients and the best part about it is low in calories.Protein content: 226 g of cottage cheese with 2% fat contains 27 grams of protein, with 194 calories.
6. Greek Yoghurt - Sometimes referred to as strained yoghurt tastes bloody awesome and is packed full of all the right nutrients. It is often made from enriched mild and strained to remove the whey and some of the lactose.
Non-fat greek yoghurt has 17 grams of protein per 170 grams with only 100 calories.
Full-fat Greek yoghurt is higher in protein contains, but contains more calories through increased sugar content.
7. Milk - is highly nutritious, if you are tolerant to milk and enjoy drinking it then this can be a great source of high quality protein along with containing almost every single nutrient the human body requires. It's high in calcium meaning its great for the bones and contains vitamin B2.
Protein content: 1 cup of whole milk contains 8 grams of protein, with 149 calories.
8. Broccoli - You guessed it, broccoli is an extremely healthy vegetable. It contains vitamin C, Vitamin K and fibre. It contain various other bioactive nutrients which is believed to help protect against cancer and contains more protein then most other vegetables.Protein content: 1 cup of chopped broccoli (96 grams) contains 3 grams of protein, with only 31 calories.
9. The Brussels sprout - love them of hate them this marmite vegetable is related to broccoli which means it's another high-protein vegetable, as well as having high levels of fibre, vitamin C and other nutrients.
Half a cup (80g) contains 2 grams of protein, with 28 calories.
10. Lean Beef - is very high in protein, and also tastes delicious seasoned with a little salt and pepper served on my plate medium/rare.Beef contains large amounts of Iron, vitamin B12 and numerous other nutrients.
Protein content: One 3 ounce (85 g) serving of cooked beef with 10% fat contains 22 grams of protein, with 184 calories. Those who are currently on a low If you’re on a low-carb diet, feel free to eat fatty cuts of beef instead of lean beef.
11. Tuna - this type of fish is readily available and is low in fat and calories meaning that we're left the the important part which is high in protein.Tuna like most other fish is very high in various nutrients and contains a decent amount of omega-3 fatty acids.
Protein content: in tuna canned in water. A cup (154) contains 39 grams of protein, with only 179 calories.
12. Quinoa - is it a seed of a grain, well either way it has taken the world by storm and is currently fighting for the number one spot for the most popular superfoods.It is high in many vitamins, minerals and fibre, and is loaded with antioxidants.
Protein content: One cup (185 g) of cooked quinoa contains 8 grams, with 222 calories.
13. Pumpkin Seeds - Have you ever wondered what to do with your left over seeds after carving your halloween pumpkin? We'll the answer is this: Keep them, clean them and eat them.They are incredibly high in many nutrients, including iron, magnesium and zinc.
Protein content: 1 ounce (28 g) contains 5 grams of protein, with 125 calories.
14. Lentils - Not just good for lentil soup. Lentils are high in fibre, magnesium, potassium, iron, folate, copper, manganese and various other nutrients.Lentils are extremely good for vegetarians at they are one of the world’s best sources of plant-based protein.
Protein content: 1 cup (198 g) of boiled lentils contains 18 grams, with 230 calories.
15. Turkey Breast - is very similar to chicken breast and can often replace chicken in many recipes as a cheaper alternative. It consists mostly of protein, with very little fat and calories.
Protein content: 85 gram serving contains 24 grams, with 146 calories.
16. Prawns - This delicious seafood is low in calories and packed full with various nutrients including vitamin B12. Like fish, prawns also contain plenty of omega-3 fatty acids.
Protein content: 85 g serving contains 18 grams, with only 84 calories.
17. Peanuts - apart from being incredibly tasty peanuts are extremely high in protein, fibre, magnesium and many studies show that they can help you lose weight if only consumed in small quantities.
Peanut butter one of my favourite all time toppings is also high in protein, just make sure not to eat too much. Save some for me.
Protein content: 28 g contains 7 grams, with 159 calories.
To conclude this kick ass list of delicious high protein foods, the importance of eating enough protein can not be overstated. Many people get far to little protein in their diet and by simply increasing how much protein you eat in a calories balanced way can be one of the easy and more effective ways to lose weight and have a better looking body.
If you would like to add anything to this list please get in touch or leave a comment.
PS- Whenever you’re ready, here's the best way I can help you;
1 - You can work with me in my world renowned Online Transformation Academy. This is for you if you are ready to make the leap of faith and truly get into the best shape both physically and mentally in your life.
ONLINE TRANSFORMATION ACADEMY
WHAT TO DO NEXT...
If you like what you have read, please give this a SHARE and a LIKE on Facebook.
Disagree with anything on the topic? It would be great to hear your opinion.
If you are finding and reading other articles that you like and you think people will benefit from then please send them in to me via Email.
Keen to learn more about fitness? Learn more with people just like you in my friendly Facebook group.
Bonus Gift... Download my FREE Quick Fix guide for busy professionals.
How I Can Help...